Stanhoe Parish Council

Minutes of Parish Council Meeting

Held on Thursday, 10th November 2016 at 7.00pm
in the village Reading Room

Clerk to the Council – , tel 01485 518570

Present: Mr. D. Lord (DL) Chairman
Mr D. Bridge (DB)
Miss. R. Brown (RB)
Mrs. J. Lord (JL)
Mr. D. Vincent (DV)

Apologies: Mr M. Roche (MR)

In Attendance: A number of members of the public attended the Better Broadband for Norfolk presentation.

1. To consider apologies for absence

The Clerk had received apologies from MR.

2. To consider approval of the Minutes of the last meeting held on 8th September 2016

No queries were raised and the Minutes were passed and signed by the Chairman.

3. To record declarations of interest in any item to be discussed

No declarations made.

4. Stanhoe Broadband Upgrade

Karen O’Kane, Programme Director for Better Broadband for Norfolk, gave an update on the planned roll out for Stanhoe. The main points from the presentation were that the roll out would be undertaken in two tranches during 2018 and a number of properties in the village (28) may not be able to receive an upgrade at all. The upgrade was likely to be in the form of ‘fibre to property’. Karen agreed to forward a copy of the presentation to DL for dissemination as necessary.

5. To adjourn the meeting to allow for public participation

Discussion centred on the Broadband upgrade where disappointment was expressed regarding the timescale and the fact that some properties were unlikely to receive any upgrade at all. The possibility of the installation of a wi-fi antenna was also discussed but Karen advised that this could not be funded by Better Broadband for Norfolk.

6. Co-option of a new Councillor

To be carried forward to the January meeting.

7. Closer liaison with other Parish Councils

DL suggested it may prove useful to formally exchange meeting minutes with other Parish Councils bordering Stanhoe. If items of mutual interest or concern were identified, then these could be approached collectively. This was agreed by Councillors; the Clerk would approach the Clerks of the Parishes of Bircham, Docking, Burnham Market, Syderstone and North Creake to seek their agreement, or otherwise, to the suggestion.

8. Geese on the pond

No further issues were raised.


DL attended the SNAP meeting on 20th September. DL advised that a new PCSO had been appointed for Stanhoe with a name to be confirmed. A number of points were raised at the meeting none of which were of direct concern to Stanhoe or its residents. ‘Ghost pavements’ had been suggested to DL as a possible solution to the lack of formal pavements, particularly on Bircham Road, in Stanhoe. Councillors however, did not support this suggestion.

10. Playground

Formal Equipment Inspections: Whilst the Clerk confirmed that it was not a requirement of the Public Indemnity insurance, Councillors agreed that annual formal inspections of the playground equipment should be undertaken by a qualified engineer. DV would arrange this.

Waste Bin: The Clerk would contact the Borough Council to discuss whether the waste bin could be routinely emptied by the Council contractors.

Sign: The amendment or replacement of the playground sign would be placed on hold until the final decision on the BT Payphone had been made.

11. Public Rights of Way in Stanhoe

Councillors agreed that Ordnance Survey maps covering the Stanhoe area should be purchased to try to establish/confirm all the Public Rights of Way in and around the village. The Clerk would purchase the necessary maps.

12. Defibrillator

The Clerk confirmed that that there was currently no funding available from the British Heart Foundation to assist with the purchase a defibrillator.

13. War Memorials Trust

The Clerk had circulated to all Councillors, for information, a link to the War Memorials Trust website.

14. Removal of Stanhoe’s BT Payphone

It was agreed, by majority decision, that the Council would neither support or object to the removal of the BT Payphone. The Clerk would complete the paperwork and return to the Borough Council.

15. Planning applications and information

No new applications had been received.

16. Financial Report and approval of payments

Up to date income & expenditure accounts, budget report and bank statements were circulated by the Clerk. No queries were raised. Approval was sought and agreed for the payment for the repair to playground equipment, the salary due to the Clerk from 1st September 2016 to 31st October 2016 and the PAYE due to HMRC. The Clerk updated Councillors on the issues with Barclays Bank advising these had now been resolved. DL requested that if Councillors identified any ‘significant’ future capital expenditure this should be passed to the Clerk and recorded in the budget.

Any Other Business:

17. Cross Lane Cross

RB advised that the Cross had sustained some minor damage, possibly by being ‘clipped’ be vehicles. In addition, a hole had developed in the tarmac close to the Cross. The Clerk would establish who ‘owned’ the Cross with a view to seeking guidance on how it can be better protected. In terms of the hole, the Clerk would advise Highways but in the interim DV agreed to undertake a temporary repair.

18. Website

RB asked if any progress had been made with supporting the webmaster. DL would discuss further with the webmaster.

19. Rangers Visit

The Clerk agreed to e-mail the Rangers engineer to confirm what work had been completed during the Rangers visit in October as the Rangers did not make contact prior to their visit, as had been indicated.

20. Visit by Highways Department

Issues regarding speeding and the lack of footpaths in the village are ongoing issues. It was suggested that a visit by a representative of the Highways Department to explore any solutions to these issues may be beneficial. The Clerk would try to arrange this.

21. Road Closure

Church Lane will be closed to through traffic from 30 November to 2 December. The closure is for work on a water main, and affects the northernmost 40 metres of Church Lane at the junction with Docking Road. The Clerk had arranged for this to be published on Stanhoe. org and in Saints Alive.

22. Speedwatch

DB advised that the Community Speedwatch Co-ordinator was looking for additional volunteers. DL would discuss with the Coordinator to establish who would advertise the requirement.

23. Items for the next Agenda – meeting of 12th January 2017:

  • Co-option of a new Councillor (DL)
  • website – support for Webmaster (DL)
  • Grit Bin & Supplies for Reading Room (RB)
  • Retirement of Bill Punter (RB)
  • Cross Lane Cross (RB)
  • White Lines (RB)

No other items were discussed and the meeting closed at 9.30pm.