Stanhoe Pit

Menu:

News

Stanhoe Parish Council Agenda

Stanhoe Parish Council Agenda - 9 July 2020

[More]

Stanhoe Parish Council Minutes

Stanhoe Parish Council Minutes - 21 May 2020

[More]

Terry Patterson

Nigel Wickens remembers Terry, who died last month.

[More]

Lunch delivery

Wells day care centre offers hot lunches to your door.

[More]

Temporary Road Closure in Stanhoe

Temporary Road Closure in Stanhoe - 4 June 2020

[More]

Hoste history

Local historian’s daughter reveals the inside story of a naval biography.

[More]

Stanhoe Parish Council Agenda

Stanhoe Parish Council Agenda - 21 May 2020

[More]

Tide times

Wells 11 Jul
06:01 low (0.06m)
11:16 high (2.90m)
18:59 low (0.14m)

Contacts
in Stanhoe

Map
Where are we?

Houses for sale
@Rightmove

Old photos
Stanhoe history

Site map
of stanhoe.org

Norfolk events
Visit Norfolk

On the coast
Norfolk Coast Partnership

Stanhoe history elsewhere on the web

Blomefield’s History of Norfolk

An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk by Francis Blomefield (1705–1752) remains an important historical source. The link above is to Stanhoe’s entry in Volume 10, which was edited by Charles Parkin after Blomefield’s death from smallpox, and published in 1809. It contains a list of Stanhoe rectors up to 1760.

Magna Berwick page from Blomefield's History of Norfolk

Click here or on the image above to view a searchable PDF (4.8 MB) of the pages relating to Stanhoe and Barwick from the 1809 editiion of Blomefield’s History (scanning courtesy of Google Documents)


Missing photos

Below are links to some Stanhoe images of which we don’t yet have copies. The first one is a postcard, and there may well be other postcards we don’t yet know about, so please keep your eyes open at markets and antique fairs:


Stanhoe War Memorial

Detailed information on the servicemen listed on the memorial tablet at the back of the church, and those buried in the churchyard.


Stanhoe mill

Stanhoe once had a windmill near Mill Hill Farm (now Mill House), by the Creake turning on the Burnham road. The link above gives more details from norfolkmills.co.uk.

Rosemary Brown lived at Mill House in the 1950s; her grandparents had bought the house in the 1930s. The Browns believed that the mill had once stood nearby, but even by the 1930s it was no longer visible and they did not know the exact site.

We do not have any photos of Stanhoe mill, and would be very interested to hear from anyone who knows more.

Little Barwick, or Middleton, had a postmill too. According to local historian Gillian Beckett, a mound still visible in the grounds of Barwick House may mark the site of this mill: there’s a photo on our page about Barwick.


Stanhoe railway station

Wikipedia entry on Stanhoe station, which opened in 1866 and closed to passengers in 1952.


1891 census records (not working as of 2020-06)

Names and page references from the 1891 census for Stanhoe. The records for Barwick have a separate page. Not all of the names are spelled correctly (this is often the fault of the original census taker).


GENUKI information for Stanhoe

Stanhoe information and links from the GENUKI Norfolk genealogy database.


All Saints’ church baptisms 1813–1880

Stanhoe baptisms recorded by the Tinstaafl Transcripts project.


Norfolk Heritage Explorer

The above link to the Stanhoe Parish Summary, and Stanhoe’s list of entries in the Norfolk Historic Environment Record (NHER), are outdated in regard to the lack of small archaeological finds from Stanhoe.


NROCAT records at Norfolk Record Office

Records of baptisms, banns, marriages and burials held at the Norfolk Record Office, Norwich, as originals and on microfilm. The NROCAT search interface is pretty horrible, so if the link above doesn’t work, try starting here and  choosing “Stanhoe with Barwick” from the drop-down list.


Briitish Newspaper Archive cuttings

Entries relating to Stanhoe from the Briitish Newspaper Archive, a collaboration between the British Library and findmypast. Also don’t forget our own newspaper archive and its searchable index page.


Landlords of the Duck Inn, formerly the Crown

A list of landladies and landlords dating back to 1836 from norfolkpubs.co.uk.


Landlords of the Norfolk Hero

A list of landladies and landlords dating back to 1836 from norfolkpubs.co.uk.


Stanhoe’s entry in A Vision of Britain

From the Great Britain Historical Geographical Information System (GBHGIS) project at the University of Portsmouth.


Stanhoe books on Amazon.co.uk

An Amazon book search sometimes pulls up history titles mentioning Stanhoe.


Domesday Reloaded 1986

Stanhoe’s entries in the groundbreaking BBC Domesday Reloaded project to record the UK in 1986. The original 2011 website no longer exists, but the Stanhoe material is available from the National Archives at the link above. Wikipedia and the Domesday Reloaded blog have more information about the project.