The Hay house as we knew it at Station Farm, Stanhoe as seen in 2011.
Chris Branch says in 2011:
"This gable end of the building had a granary floor at first floor level accessed by a steep wooden staircase with hand-rail, from inside the main barn (accessed from the other side). In the Thirties it was quite common for 2 comb (two hundred-weight) to be carried up the wooden staircase, so it is little wonder that farm workers of the time were predisposed to hernia problems!
Below the granary floor in the 1950-60's hay bales and grain were stored inside, but earlier it accommodated horses' harnesses and collars too. It was accessed through the double stable door shown.
The Farm dogs in the 1950's were black Retrievers: "Prince" and "Vickie" and before they moved into the farm house, this building used to be their overnight kennels. Naturally they shared it with several farm cats. On the farm, typically they would be fed on bread and milk. Harry kept a sack of Boneo's for the dogs.
After one stay, we managed to find five adorable kittens new homes on our return to Walthamstow.
As show here, the lower door has been replaced. As Jenny Spark's recorded, the whole of the barn roof had to be reconstructed, and as can be seen, new guttering and drain-pipes have been added. There is also now external lighting. Originally the single 110 volt light bulbs hanging in the Hay house and the Turnip house, threw just enough light onto the Yard but once switched off at night - boy it was dark. We would know of anybody coming from the sound of their boots on the farm track as they approached the house.