Newspaper article on the discovery of the Stanhoe 1752 land ownership map
EDP article on the discovery of a 1752 land ownership map of Stanhoe in a shed at Station Farm, 1964.
The original map is available to view in the search room of the Norfolk Record Office:
MS 21596: Map of the parish of Stanhoe
"John Aram, surveyor. Field names and acreages stated, drawing of church. 19th century note ascribes the map to Eugene Aram, the murderer.
The EDP transcript reads:
EASTERN DAILY PRESS, FRIDAY, …
1752 Stanhoe map unearthed in shed
A survey map dated 1752 has come to light at Stanhoe in a shed at Mr. Harry Calver’s Station Farm. Its existence was known by those interested in the history of the village, and great efforts were made to trace it when the Squire of Stanhoe, [Mr H.C.] Hollway-Calthrop, died and Stanhoe Hall was sold in 1949.
It is a plan of the “strip” system of agriculture, the strips being numbered, some named and some bearing the names of their owners. The church is beautifully drawn, but those studying the roads see many alterations. deviations and losses.
It is especially interesting for an inscription at the top right-hand corner is written in a later copper-plate hand as follows:
“This survey was made by the notorious Eugene Aram in 1752 who was at that time living at Lynn under the name of John Aram. He was tried and executed at York, August 1759 for the murder of Daniel Clark at Knaresboro’ 14 years before, viz: on Friday 8 February, 1740. For particulars of his trial and defence see the annual register.”
This was of course, the Eugene Aram made famous by Thomas Hood in a poem.
Another thing of interest concerning this is that at the foot of the poem in the “Chandos” Edition is the note:
“Admiral Burney (Brother of Madame D’Arblay) went to school at an establishment where the unhappy Eugene Aram was Usher subsequent to his crime…”
This was Lynn Grammar School and Madame D’Arblay (the famous “Fanny Burney”) mentions in her diary the fact that she stayed with her aunt at Stanhoe Hall to recuperate from an illness. She describes it as “ruinous and rat-run,” which is another mystery for Stanhoe Hall 'was built only 50 years earlier, Dr. Pevsner dating it 1702.
The survey is on parchment and in an extremely parlous state, especially one half where the writing is mostly illegible, but it is hoped to place it in the care of the Norwich City Archivist for rescue work and pre[serve it] for the study of future histor students.
Many well-known names in S[tanhoe’s] past are recorded on the map [includ]ing the Earl of Orford (Sir Rob[ert Wal]pole) and Mr. Glover, the b[uilder of] many beautiful local barns sti[ll stand]ing.
The map was found on the [???] of Mr. Harry Calver, at Station[n ?Farm,] a former tenant farm belongin[g to Stanhoe] Hall. It was handed by him [to] Peter Scales, landlord of the [Norfolk] Hero Inn – named on the map as “Alehouse” and not The [Cock and Breeches, its] original name.
[Caption] Mr. Harry Calver, of Station Farm, Stanhoe, with his 1752 map [of the] village.