Stanhoe photos from the 1930s
- Stanhoe School cricket team, 1937
Stanhoe School cricket team, 1937. Names from Cecil Sandell: Back row: Cecil Sandell, Tony Lack, Dennis Middleditch, Kenneth Ayres Middle row: Fingleton ?, Maurice Ayres, Reg Ireson, Alf Jakes, Ted Johnson Front row: Clifford Fenn, Eric Read
- Samuel Curson and Mr Stangroom, 1934
Newspaper cutting about Samuel Curson and Mr Stangroom, both of Stanhoe, from the Lynn Advertiser, Wisbech Constitutional Gazette and Norfolk and Cambridgeshire Herald, 23 February 1934. The text reads: “STANHOE WORTHY” “Mr. Samuel Curson, aged 75 years, of Stanhoe. For sixty-two years he worked on Barrack Farm for Mr. H. H. Savory. Beginning at the age of nine, he was earning two shillings a week by the time he was fifteen.” “91 AT STANHOE” “Mr. Stangroom, Stanhoe’s oldest inhabitant, aged 91 years. For 25 years he had been employed as foreman and groom to Mr. H. C. Hollway-Calthrop; for 17 years he was at Ivy Farm with Mr. Oliver and later with Mr. Cook. He started work at the age of six, being…”
- Beet hoeing, ? before 1939
Sugar beet hoeing. Date unknown, possibly pre-war. Back row, from left: Tommy Margetson, ‘Erb Ayres.
- Stanhoe cricket team, 1930s
Back row (l-r): Jimmy Steward, V. Walker, Bert Margetson, Ernest Richard (Dick) Steward, L. Norman, Tommy Margetson, W. Walker, Victor William (Will) Steward, W. (Billy) Ayres. Front row: E. Dye, Thomas William Pygall, ?. Ayres, Stanley Ayres, E. Dunthorne.
- Stanhoe schoolgirls, 1938 or 1939
(l-r) Catherine (Kate) Walker, Margaret (Peggy) Walker, Sybil Ayres, Doreen Ireson, Dorothy Pygall
- Stanhoe football team, 1939
Stanhoe football team, 1939. Back row (l-r): Eddie Green, George Ireson, Ernie Ayres, Stanley Steward, Billy Steward, Morris Ayres, Dick Steward, Harry Mayhew (who sent news reports to the Lynn News). Front row (l-r): Jimmy Steward, "Sonny" Ayres, Denny Middleditch, Alfie Jakes, John Rowe, Lenny Green, "Tiger" Wright
- The Crown and landlady, probably 1930s
The Crown and landlady, date unknown. Arthur Pightling was landlord from 1925 to 1937
- Stanhoe School performance at the church fete, 1939 or 1940
Stanhoe School performance at the church fete in the rectory garden, 1939 or 1940. Back row (l-r) Barbara Walker, Jessie Gray, Doreen Bloy, ?, Kathleen Johnson, ?, ?, Myrtle Sandell Front row (l-r) ?, Margaret Stringer, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, Eva Johnson, ?
- Children at the church fete, 1938 or 1939
Church fete 1938 or 1939. Older girls: Doreen Ayres, Daisy Mayhew, Phoebe Pygall, Eva Rowe
- Doreen Bloy at Fern Cottage, Stanhoe, around 1935
Doreen Bloy at Fern Cottage, Stanhoe, around 1935
- Bloy family at Barwick Hall Farm, 1930
Barwick Hall Farm, 1930. On the left is Sarah Bloy with Doreen Bloy in her arms. In the middle is Percy Bloy. On the right is a friend of the Bloys'.
- Doreen Bloy at Barwick, 1932
Doreen Bloy at Barwick, 1932
- Stanley Ayres outside his house on The Green, 1934
Stanley Ayres outside his house on The Green, 1934
- John Thomas Mitchley and his wife Elizabeth (née Pygall) outside their cottage next to the Crown. There were then three cottages in the row; this is the one furthest from the Crown. 1920s or 1930s.
John Thomas Mitchley and his wife Elizabeth (née Pygall) outside their cottage next to the Crown. There were then three cottages in the row; this is the one furthest from the Crown. 1920s or 1930s.
- Stanley Ayres (gardener for Col. Seymour) at Barwick House gardens in 1930s
Stanley Ayres (gardener for Col. Seymour) at Barwick House gardens in 1930s
- Sedgeford railway station, 1930s
We previously had this fine photo catalogued as Stanhoe railway station, but it almost certainly isn't. This photo shows a straight track where the track at Stanhoe curves to the left, and a loop of track that was never present at Stanhoe. If it is indeed a station on this line, it is almost certainly Sedgeford. Thanks to Dave Cromarty of the Branch Line Society for helping with identification.
- Comic football team, 1930s; Stanley Ayres centre front with football
Comic football team, 1930s; Stanley Ayres centre front with football
- Stanhoe railway station, 1937
Stanhoe railway station, 1937
- Rectors, 1837-1932
- Group at Stanhoe Railway Station
Mrs Jean Tuck, station mistress, in the station garden opposite the platform with her sister-in-law, Mrs Alice Tuck and neice Gillian. 1937
- Brownies, c 1935
Brownies, c 1935. Back Row: Eva Blackburn, Rosie Lambert, Daisy Mayhew, Mrs Bannister (troupe leader), Ruth Bannister, (Rector's wife and daughter)Phoebe Pygall, unknown, unknown. Front Row: Sybil Ayres, Doreen Ayres, unknown, Joyce Frost.
- Methodist Chapel, The Street, 1930s. The gates disappeared during World War II.
Methodist Chapel, The Street, 1930s. The gates disappeared during World War II.
- The Street looking east, Cross Lane, Methodist chapel with elm trees, four children. Postcard, c 1930s.
The Street looking east, Cross Lane, Methodist chapel with elm trees, four children. Postcard, c 1930s.
- Stanhoe school rounders team, 1937
Stanhoe school rounders team, 1937 Back Row, L-R 1 ? 2 ? 3 Sybil Ayres 4 Doreen Ayres Front Row, L-R 5 Sybil Middleditch (Oldfield) 6 ? 7 Eva Rowe (Blackburn) 8 Daisy Mayhew 9 ?