Saints Alive: Stanhoe and Barwick Newsletter
Dates for your diary:-
3rd Tuesday of each month
Lunchtime quiz – see below
Tai Chi taster – see below
Stanhoe Archive illustrated talk – see below
All Saints’ AGM – see below
Helen Shapiro Gospel outreach – see below
Annual Flower Show – see below
- The Quiz at The Lord Nelson, Burnham Thorpe, will be the third Tuesday of the month. The cost of £1 goes to the charity. The quiz is open to everyone.
- Scrabble/crafts Wednesdays;alternates each week – starting at 2pm – venue to be decided – contact Chris 517040
- Tai Chi taster – want to learn what it is all about? Taster session for WI members on 24th March 1000 at St Faiths Church, Norwich. Details on WI notice board in reading room.
- Meeting schedule;
February 24th: committee meeting
March 3rd – to be announced
April 7th – 7 pm: Margaret Furness and friends Chocolate and Box Making
Contacts for any of the above: Geraldine (518025) or Pamela (518033).
All Saints’ Church, Stanhoe
The Parochial Church Council AGM will be held on Monday 4th April 2011 at 7 pm in the Reading Room. All welcome.
Helen Shapiro Gospel outreach:-
Andrew and Jean Holland invite you to St Mary’s Church, Docking on Saturday 30 April at 7:30 pm to hear Helen Shapiro Gospel outreach. Tickets cost £5 and can be obtained by phoning 01485 517172 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org come and hear the good news.
Stanhoe Archive’s illustrated talk:-
The Local history group Stanhoe Archive hosts an illustrated talk on metal detecting by Charles Butcher on Sunday 27 March, 2.30 pm.
You will have the chance to handle Roman, Saxon and medieval coins and artefacts. Bring along old coins, pottery or anything else you have found in the ground, and challenge Charles to identify them.
Entry is £1.00 and includes tea and biscuits.
Burnham Market Community Car Scheme February Draw:-
The winners this time came from Brancaster and Burnham Market and Burnham Thorpe
Annual Flower Show:-
The 2011 Stanhoe Flower Show will take place on Saturday 6th August and the organisation is under way already.
An exciting new schedule has been produced and many have already been delivered to village residents. Whilst retaining the traditional vegetable and flower classes we have updated the flower arranging classes with the hint of a topical theme, ant the cookery and craft classes have been devised to show lots of skills. The children have been given wider opportunities to shine too.
We are hoping for lots of entries to make another wonderful show.
Your Incinerator choice:-
In February the borough council will be asking residents if they favour burning all Norfolk’s left over rubbish here in West Norfolk for the next 25 years. In the past waste was either burnt or buried, now there are more options than ever before with Autoclave, Anaerobic Digestion, Mechanical & Biological Treatment (MBT) and more.
Every household in Norfolk received a ballot paper, asking for you to vote for or against the incinerator at Saddlebow, King’s Lynn. Also included is some information for and against using incinerators. The poll will be held on 28th February.
If you would like more information for or against building the incinerator at Saddlebow then please visit www.farmerscampaign.org, www.KLWIN.COM or the appropriate section of the Borough Council website.
– Did you know that March one of the seven months which are 31 days long and that March in the Southern Hemisphere is the seasonal equivalent of September in the Northern Hemisphere?
– Did you also know that in the Northern hemisphere, the beginning of the meteorological spring is 1 March and that in Finnish, the month is called maaliskuu, which originates from maallinen kuu, meaning earthy month, because during maaliskuu, the earth finally became visible under the snow? Let’s hope we see more earth than snow this month.
– For those who like trivial facts – March starts on the same day of the week as November every year and February in common years only and ends on the same day of the week as June every year
– March’s birthstones are aquamarine and bloodstone. These stones mean courage and its birth flower is the Daffodil. I didn’t realise March had so much going for it!
Saints Alive editor , 7 Station Road, tel 517 005
Copy deadline for the printed issue of Saints Alive
is the 15th of the previous month